Beginning the Interview Process

So I completed my first 5 interviews and so far they were all good. One thing that I noticed that I wished I could have done differently was try to recruit more students of different skin colors. For the most part i did not have any one that had a lighter skin tone. I tried asking my aunt how I could potentially reach out to more of the students that had a lighter skin tone but my Aunt said that most females that are lighter skin color will probably not talk to me about colorism because they benefit more readily from the system than those who are darker. In my interviews I was able to learn some terminologies or word choices for people. Blacker skin is compared to vultures because they have a darker skin tone and are seen as the lowest of the low because they are scavengers, dirty and ugly. Instead of people with lighter skin called light skins they are called red or red bone because of hue that shows up in their skin. Some people call black people a blackie and say that red woman are cheaper than a dollar bill. Funny enough the one dollar bill in Trinidad is red. This means that people who have a lighter skin are not worth much because they are usually viewed as dishonorable people.

However even though there are many similarities of colorism in American and in Trinidad. Some of the interviews noted that their are some major differences. Trinidad there is more acceptance of different skin tones and hues because Trinidad is a multicultural society. Trinidad is a country where all cultures and traditions of different types of people are are accepted. Everyone is suppose to be viewed as equal so in certain areas are situations different skin tones are more accepted or approved. ¬†Even though Trinidad is suppose to be a country of Equality, it still suffered from the same issues that we face here in America. Currently, Trinidad’s prime minister is Indian so she has created this spoils system of only putting other Indians in power and in government positions. Which leaves the Afro-Trinidadians or other populations out of higher ranking jobs. American suffers from a similar issue because white people tend to have more jobs, dominate the government sector and have more money.

1. sarahfredrick says:

This project is extremely thought-provoking. I also am working on conducting interviews for my project, and I was wondering how you structured your interviews and what sort of questions you asked. Which populations did you speak to most? Do you think your research will have a bias because you did not have the opportunity to speak to as many lighter-skinned participants?