First Week of Teaching

My first week being a teacher has come to an end. I have never experienced such excitement, nervousness, and anticipation since my first day of college. I sang and danced as all of my students departed the bus and anxiously awaited their arrival to my class. For me, I wanted my class to be a place where they felt comfortable to talk to me about anything and also a place where they could learn to love math. I believe I’ve done a great job of accomplishing that for my classroom. I love all of my kids and my students show their love for me by entering my classroom every day more enthusiastic than the day before. One of my students told me “I never really understood math until I entered your class”. It is comments like this and the look of intellectual excitement in my student’s eyes that really validate my decision to enter the field of education and continue to impact the lives of future generations.

Not only have I been working very hard at my teaching job, but I am also making great strides in my research project. I have created my Facebook Research page, which has been advertised on multiple groups on Facebook and so far I have been in contact with 3 students and I am currently scheduling their interviews. I also have been working on revising my literature review. I feel as if the experience that I am having in my classroom is actually helping me to understand the position of teachers of color. For example, I am one of 3 teachers of color in the program. Most of the students are students of color and I have multiple instances this week alone where students have come to me to discuss an issue that they had with another one of their teachers. One of the teachers had a phone basket near the entrance of her door way and demanded that all students place their phones in the basket during class. This may have seemed like a good idea, but instantly the students’ felt disrespected and felt as if they were being treated like children. These students came to me after lunch and I had to offer advice to help calm them down. This situation was not in the job description, but it is one of the many things I have to deal with. This is indicative of the issues new teachers deal with when they enter the field.  According to McMillen (2013), “Graduate teachers feel relatively well-prepared to deal with difficult kids, although that can be hard. Young teachers tend to go into schools highly optimistic and full of energy, but if there’s no one to take them under their wing and help them through those first couple of years, they get very disillusioned”. When there is so much added to these young teachers plates, besides the academic commitments these teachers have to their classes, it is easy to see how teachers feel overworked and stressed. I don’t have an immediate solution to this issue, but I do believe that more support is needed to ensure new young teachers don’t leave the profession after 5 years due to the stress of the job.

This upcoming week I will continue to advertise my interviews, as well as revise my literature review. I am excited to start week two of teaching my students, and I am more comfortable now that the first day jitters are gone.

Bibliography

• McMillen, A. (2013, August 5). School’s out early for overworked and under supported young teachers. Retrieved June 29, 2015, from http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/aug/06/teachers-leave-profession-early

1. kqbarrett says:

Hey Eboni,
    Those are very solid points. I too have an interest in teaching and reading your post excites me as well having done a similar internship. The notion that young teachers have a lot to learn in the ways of interacting with youth is interesting and should be noted more often to encourage teachers to pursue more certifications and higher degrees in the field. It will only benefit the students that much more if the teachers are well prepared to interact and teach them effectively. Thanks for sharing that with us.
    -Keaun Barrett

2. Very interesting! Your passion really shines through. Teacher disillusionment is an issue I haven’t considered before. Maybe there can be a support group for young teachers, or mentorships established between older teachers and new teachers?