This may have been easier if I lived in South Korea

I had to continue working on the Forced Multiple Choice test, to make sure it was set up properly. I also managed to get some of the instructions translated into Korean, but we decided to add the clearness scale after I had already received the translation. We also realized that, since participants would have to be in the William & Mary community or close to campus, they would probably be able to understand the english instructions. Therefore, we decided that the experiment would just have english instructions, since it would be too time consuming to wait for a second complete translation.

When the FMCT was finally ready, I began to seriously recruit participants. The most easily accessible Korean speaking population is the Korean students who attend William and Mary. However, during the summer there are very few students who attend classes. I was able to make several posts on social media, and several people were kind and responded back. I also occasionally heard Korean being spoken on campus, so I would ask the speakers if they were willing to participate. Still, it was a challenge locating people willing to participate. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to do research in South Korea, where Korean speakers are much easier to find.

The participants that I looked for had to be 18 years or older. They also had to be native Korean speakers, which I defined as learning to speak Korean before the age of 12. However, this group can still have a large range of speaking abilities, since some children speak exclusively Korean with their families, while others tend to use more english. I tried to recruit people with a large range of abilities. I didn’t need people who could write academic papers in Korean, but rather people who could tell the difference between these consonants in the language. I also had the unspliced stimuli in the experiment, so these words should weed out anyone who does not speak Korean well enough to correctly identify the consonants. As soon as people messaged me or emailed me, I began setting up appointments to run the experiment.

1. Ebi Doubeni says:

I had almost a similar situation with my research because I was trying to interview students in Trinidad. They were very open to meeting with me and sharing their experiences but it was at first very hard to locate a pool of applications because I did not know any students my age in Trinidad.