Final Thoughts

Well, the official period of my summer research may be over, but the work is far from being done. I will be extending the research I did this summer into my senior linguistics thesis, and I couldn’t be more excited. My goal in this research has always been to find a way to give back to the amazing community of speakers in Seminole Nation, so I hope that they will be able to find use for the videos I plan to transcribe and translate, and the book of musically-notated hymns I plan to produce. I feel that these materials will prove important, come the day when there are fewer and fewer elders/speakers who are able to share their knowledge and their language directly. I hope to continue to visit the Creek-speaking community for years to come (and possibility visit over this winter break!) and continue the relationships I made with the incredible people I met there. This summer research has given me the confidence and the direction to know that I want to continue in the field of documentational linguistics. When a line of work/research can feel both so enriching and empowering for both you and the community you are serving, you know you’ve found the right calling. I want to thank Jack Martin, everyone at the Pumvhakv School, all of our interviewees, Ryan, Michael, and everyone from Oklahoma I may have missed, as well as the Charles Center for enabling me to have such a beautiful and inspiring experience. Mvto (thank you)!

1. Sarah, your project is really neat and it was cool to read your posts about your work this summer! I think your use of technologies like Memrise to expand access to language learning is great. Do you see technologies like that being useful for the continuation of other endangered languages in the future?