Another Update Part 2: Less Failure

Hello All, I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

As previously stated on the former post, I’ve been quite busy this past month with research so while I haven’t been posting as frequently, I do have quite a bit to share. Therefore I’ve decided that instead of dumping a lot of text into one post, I’ll separate the posts by project. Part 1 included all of my work the unnatural amino acid projects, and this post will include the work on the microwave click project.

With the click project, I’ve been focusing my attention on three azides and three alkynes; however, recently I’ve expanded the current reaction table to include another azide and two derivatives of a current alkyne. Unfortunately I cannot go into the specifics of the actual molecules, but the azide is a long chained alkane, that took me many tries to synthesize, as we didn’t have the actual chemical. I used a variety of methods to make the molecule, but the one that worked was actually the one I thought was least likely to do so. The procedure called for just dumping three chemicals and allowing the reaction to proceed at room temperature, which seemed a little too easy, but to my surprise I got a decent yield. I then used the product to click with several alkynes, and unfortunately I got lower yields than I wanted to, but the reaction still worked, which is the important part.

One of the more polar alkynes I’ve been using has had a poor time reacting with any azide I throw at it, so it was recommended to me that I protect it. I tried to methods, a simple bulky/aryl protecting group, and solid-support protection. The simple protecting group reacted well, but the actual cleaving of the group caused many issues. I ran many pipette columns in an attempt to separate the protected product from the deprotected product, but it was to no avail. Fortunately, the solid-support product reacted greatly, and I got tremendous yields! The only problem is that the actual amount of product that I’m supposed to get is so low, that I’m having a difficult time actually knowing what the yields are. I can tell it’s much better because I’ve been doing a series of analytical work on each of the click products, and these reactions create beautiful spectra.

As of now, I have yields, spectra, and even GCMS data for all of my compounds, and I just finished line listing all of the numbers. Hopefully I can finish up the rest of the information and push out this paper!

Thanks for reading, until next time,

-Marshall