Abstract: Getty Internship Summer 2016

My name is Isabel Steven, and I’m a rising senior double majoring in history and classics.  I will be interning at the J. Paul Getty Museum this summer in the events department. I will be learning about how the Getty organizes and runs their many and varied events, from lecture series to music concerts. As such, the internship will be primarily experiential as opposed to research-based. However, it would be ridiculous of me not to take advantage of the wealth of resources that Getty has. As a classics major, I would love to get out to the villa. I also want to look at their Medieval Manuscript collection, as well as their European art, since my history interests are in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.

I want to work in the museum field after I graduate, so I’m very excited to be getting a first-hand experience into how large museums work, and I hope to get a good understanding of how all the different departments at the Getty work together and what area I want to work in that best fits my interests and talents.