Abstract: Warfare, Insurgencies, and Cambridge

Hi! My name is Maggie Dene! I’m a sophomore and a Government major. In July, I will be traveling to England to participate in William and Mary’s Cambridge summer study abroad at Christ’s College alongside Professor Kathryn Floyd. During the program, I will be taking the classes The British Strategic Approach to Warfare and The British are Coming…to Stop Insurgencies. After taking a Government class titled Terrorism and Insurgencies with Professor Floyd during my freshman fall, I realized my passion for war and conflict studies and am excited to continue my studies at Cambridge.

I plan to research the relationship between geography and the effectiveness of counterterrorism techniques used by the British, historically, and apply my research to counterterrorism techniques used against ISIS (the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria), today.

“Begin by seizing something which your opponent holds dear; then he will be amenable to your will.” – Sun Tzu, The Art of War (aka my favorite book)

1. This sounds like fascinating project with valuable real-world implications. As a combat veteran of GWOT, I am very interested in reading about what you learn. Best of luck!

2. This sounds like an incredible opportunity to use history to inform political policy. How far back will you be looking into Britain’s history? Will you be focusing on foreign terror, or will you also be evaluation domestic terror? Will you be looking at terror bred through nationalistic ideologies like the Irish revolutionary army? This topic has a lot of potential, and is truly a great idea.