Brexit Update

Saturday morning, I awoke to thousands of pro-EU “remain” protesters demonstrating in the plaza outside my dorm. As a history lover, living on Trafalgar Square while the Brexit drama unfolds has been an unparalleled experience. It feels like I’ve fallen into a BBC documentary.

I’ve been collecting stories from everyone willing to share, savoring the chance to hear first-hand accounts of the way governmental treaties and economic graphs actually influence peoples’ narratives. From my Uber drivers to strangers at a pub, the predominant emotions in London seem to be shock and concern, not anger or frustration. A barista was worried about her children’s ability to pay rent in Europe after the pound’s value drop. A taxi driver wondered if the referendum was indicative of a rise in race-based fear. Many at LSE were concerned half their professors now need to apply for work visas. On my walk to campus Friday, distracted commuters on The Strand kept bumping into one another.

As a newcomer to the U.K., I won’t attempt to give an opinion on the referendum, but to quote Hamilton I’m grateful to be in the room where it happens.

IMG_8391IMG_8387IMG_8390