Another update: Aneuploidy in yeast

Hi everyone!

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to attempt to use a new method to analyze all of the data I’ve been collecting this summer. I had been using a method from a paper that my professor recommended, but that method wasn’t working out as well as we had hoped. I constructed standard curves for all of the yeast chromosomes which allowed me to figure out the starting concentration of DNA (depending on the output of a quantitative PCR reaction).

My project involves several generations of yeast and their offspring. There are four starting strains (two wild and two clinical) and there were three different crosses of these four strains. I had originally focused on performing quantitative PCR reactions on the final generation of one of these crosses and found that I was receiving a relatively clear signal that there was indeed aneuploidy present in some of the final populations. One thing that I’m realizing now is that it is more difficult to tell if there is a real signal present in the starting four strains because there is only one individual organism to gather data from.

One thing both my professor is interested in is seeing whether or not aneuploidy was indeed present in the original strains because that would help to explain why there is such a wide array of chromosome configurations in both the crosses and the final generations, but with only one individual from each background to look at, it may be difficult to determine whether aneuploidy was present or not.