Concluding thoughts on summer research of auto paints

Step four of my summer research plan is to conclude what I’ve learned over the summer and plan for the coming semester. I’ve learned a lot this summer about car paints and what research in a chemistry lab is all about. I learned that auto paints are way more complicated then they appear and that auto paints have evolved just as cars have evolved over time. During the last couple weeks, I discovered through some literature review a test for a base knowledge of what auto paint is made up of. This test also proved to be a helpful extraction agent and gave some distinctive spectra when paired with SERS. When I head back to the lab next semester I will further explore this method of extraction and see if I can truly identify and reproduce the characteristic spectra for the manufacturer auto paints. Once I have finished developing the method for the manufacturer paints, I will finally move on to paint samples straight from a car. I can’t wait to get back into the lab and continue exploring new ideas and developing experimental methods.