In Conclusion

Hello Everyone,

For my last post, I wanted to do some reflecting on the events of this summer and the progress I’ve made in my research. First off, I’d like to be honest in saying that the events of this summer made it at times very hard to pursue this research. The deaths of Philandro Castile, Alton Sterling, and Korryn Gaines, police shootings in Dallas and Baton Rouge, and current unrest in Milwaukee, have underscored the timeliness of my research, but also made it very difficult to generate the emotional stamina necessary to examine police brutality in text and in reality. As a scholar-activist, self-care is an important skill to learn and it’s one that I’ve had to develop out of necessity this year.

Nonetheless, I’m excited to see that my research has unearthed some interesting truths about #BLM protest music. Protest music displays not only an artist’s dissatisfaction with police brutality, but also gives a unique perspective into their own emotional state. It seems that everyone, from scholar-activists, average listeners, and the artists themselves, are using protest music not only as a vehicle for change, but as a way to cope with an often overwhelming emotional load.

And while I may have numbers to share with everyone, I still have a wealth of background information to read through from this summer. I’ve had the pleasure of reading many, but I’m still processing where and how they fit into my research and what that means for the project itself. I’m so grateful to have been given this opportunity, and I can’t wait to share what I’ve learned and work toward perfecting the results in the future. I hope my posts have been informative and entertaining and I wish everyone the best int he upcoming year.

Sincerely,

Alexa Mason