Week 3 Synopsis at Lahav

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 7.39.28 PM

We have finally reached the bottom of our pit in about ¾ of the square. As we go deeper and deeper, the story gets more complex and sometimes work is slowed to just sweeping the same 50 centimeters while our supervisor fills out pages and pages of paperwork. Luckily and unluckily, we found three floors in sequence at the bottom of our balk. This meant that we had to fill out three floor pages one after the other and somehow work out a way to photograph all three at the same time. Above is a photo of a cobbled stone floor that I uncovered. It was obvious that this was some sort of surface when I first saw the larger flat stones that looked smoothed over on top. We traced these larger stones–trying to take out the irrelevant ones–across the edge of the square. We also did a probe against the pillar in the far corner to see how far down it goes.

Another great find today was a small cosmetic bowl with very well preserved geometric patterns around the edge. The cleaner looking one is another cosmetic bowl that was found on this site as well in another year.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 3.33.29 PM

1. Hi! I enjoyed reading your blogs and I would like to visit an archaeological site if possible. I was wondering what care would be given to the items excavated? Are there any special containers designed to protect them from being eroded by air?