Abstract: Phillips Collection Internship

Hello! My name is Sarah Farver and I am a rising senior, majoring in History and minoring in Art History, at the College of William & Mary. I am honored to be one of this year’s recipients of the Woody Internship in Museum Studies, and extremely excited to spend the summer interning at the Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C.! As America’s first museum of modern art, the Phillips Collection has a prestigious reputation for housing prominent works from the Impressionist to Abstract Expressionist movements, yet the museum stays true to its original message as it continues promoting contemporary artists and their works. I look forward to working in an art museum that stays in tune with today’s evolving art scene, and seeing how the museum conveys art’s transformations by juxtaposing the old with the new.

As for my work this summer, I believe I am in for a pleasant surprise. Since the Phillips Collection is a relatively small museum, especially compared to many of its D.C. neighbors, I will get to experience the many different facets of museum work rather than strapping myself down to one department. While my past experiences with the Education and Public Programming Departments at the National Archives and the Curatorial Departments at Colonial Williamsburg have given me previous insight into the museum world, I am eager to dive deeper this summer at the Phillips Collection, my first experience working at an institution solely dedicated to art.

My goal for this blog is to post on a weekly basis, giving the greater William & Mary community a chance to peer into the museum world. Follow along with the tag: Phillips Internship, for what I am sure will be an exciting summer!

*