Exploring the CCM Division

This week I continued to work on developing the training manual for Bassett Hall.  It is not an easy task, but it has helped me quickly pick up on the rich history of Bassett Hall, the Rockefeller family, and the Restoration of Colonial Williamsburg.

In addition to my daily work in the office, I have had the opportunity on many occasions to visit and tour the main headquarters of the Collections, Conservation, and Museums division (of which Bassett Hall is a part).  I was able to meet with several registrars who are each responsible for a different aspect of  the Collections Department.  They showed me all of the storage and archives rooms, and they explained to me all of the different career opportunities within the collections side of museum operations.  I am very grateful to have such friendly and experienced people as resources throughout this internship.

I also attended my first CCM intern program seminar.  We were given a tour of the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg (the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum).  After seeing most of the main exhibits, we were given a behind-the-scenes tour of the storage spaces and workshops.  During this tour, we learned about the intricacies of developing an exhibit, from the big-picture tasks of curating and designing the exhibit, to some of the less obvious components of exhibition, such as building display structures, printing information signs, and decorating the walls of the gallery.  It was a very eye-opening experience, as I have never been involved in that aspect of museum operations, and I am so glad that this program is exposing me to so many new things.

The art museums are open daily, and like all the other sites in Colonial Williamsburg, they are free to William and Mary students, so I would definitely recommend visiting!

*