Settling In & Analyzing: Part Two

Hello again followers! Welcome back to the (kind of) weekly installment of updates about my research project. The past few days have been pretty sweltering here in the ‘Burg, so I’ve really embraced a permanent habitation inside of Swem Library.

The majority of my most recent work has been data-centric. Due to the complexity of the scale that I am using to analyze participants’ risk factors for anxiety disorders, I’ve been harnessing the power of SPSS-Syntax to run statistical tests on all of the numbers.┬áBeing the coding novice that I am, writing the commands in this new computer language was very tedious, and occasionally frustrating. But I prevailed, and now have some basic descriptive statistics to start playing with!

To continue the data takeover of my academic life, my lab and I (i.e. Professor Conway and a grad student that works with him) have been doing some major lifting with regard to the electrodermal activity analysis that we plan to do in the near future. How neat! Basically, we’ve all been scouring online Webinars and massive procedures manuals to figure out which aspects of the EDA we want to extract, and exactly how to use the Biopac software to do so. We finished compiling our efforts this morning, and now have an extensive step-by-step guide for how to handle the skin-responsivity data.

Descriptive statistics are the pot of gold at the end of the SPSS-Syntax rainbow.

In my spare time, I’ve continued to work through a literature review for my project. My most recent articles deal with differences in physiological responses to stressful life events based on gender. It’s been so fascinating and inspiring to learn about the broader implications of the numbers I’m crunching. My lab and I have a few more meetings scheduled for this week; I have a great feeling about our productivity levels in the near future.

1. Maddie Hamborg says:

This sounds like a really cool project! What has your initial literature revealed about gender differences in reactions to stressors?