Analysis Win & Genuine Grin: Part Three

Whoooaaa, we’re halfway there… using the software! This post marks the (just past) halfway point of my summer research. My time in Williamsburg is flying by! While psychology research is by no means the most glamorous or dynamic of activities, it has been incredibly rewarding and such a valuable learning experience for me.

My lab team and I have been buckling down on researching data management strategies for our psychophysiological data. Basically, we’ve gathered massive quantities of electrodermal and cardiac data (in conjunction with our survey and self-report results) using tools (electrodes, gel, machinery, etc.) from a company called BioPac. We’ve been up to our noses in procedure manuals, online Webinars, and step-by-step instructions in an attempt to fully explore how we’re going to manage all of the numbers we have. Definitely not the most exciting, but all of our hard work will start to pay off soon because…(drumroll, please) we finished making our own step-by-step guide to electrodermal activity analysis!

By constructing this systematic approach, we are now able to begin drawing preliminary conclusions from each individual participant’s file. For example, we will extract the average skin conductance level, number of skin conductance responses, and the slope of the skin conductance level (among many, many other measures) for each focus area of our data. Each file is divided into five focus areas of the Trier Social Stress Test- baseline, instruction delivery, preparation, speech, and recovery. This way, we will be able to differentiate how specific participants responded during each phase of the task. What luck!

Along with the data management victory, I’ve been focussing on outlining an introduction for my final paper using the huge quantity of notes that I’ve compiled during my literature review. It’s so exciting to watch some of my hard work come to fruition! The statistical analysis has also been chugging along, but so far none of my results have been noteworthy enough for the blog.

In the next few weeks, our lab’s primary focus will be EDA data analysis. Once we’ve waded through the waters of skin responsivity, I’ll be able to start making connections between anxiety propensity, electrodermal activity, and gender.

Completing our data management research has me feeling peachy