The Final Post: Concluding my research, but not my promotion of ecotherapy

Alongside my research with Dr. Ibes at the Parks Research Lab, I have been interning for Wildrock Nature Playscape, a non-profit in Crozet, Virginia. Via this internship, I will be leading an ecotherapy retreat for college students. The goal of this retreat is to teach college students what ecotherapy is, and then help them plan an ecotherapy initiative on their college campus. For more information, please contact me at dcspitz@email.wm.edu, as William & Mary students are welcome on this retreat. Most major schools in Virginia will eventually feature an ecotherapy initiative on their campus. Thus, my research at the Parks Research Lab this summer has aided me in promoting ecotherapy to others.

Most of my summer so far has been spent learning about local parks and learning more about ecotherapy research. This has geared me to promote research on my campus. If you have any questions for me about the subject, please ask in the comments. It is surprisingly easy to reap the benefits of ecotherapy, though many people miss out by not going outside.

How You Can Promote Ecotherapy

Spend more time outside, and invite your friends to join you.

Look at the On-Campus Greenspace Map (that my research partner and I helped update) to find the outdoor space on-campus that meets your needs.

Create mandalas using outdoor materials found on-campus. Then, showcase your mandala in a spot on campus for everyone to see, maintain, and add to.

A photo of me with the mandala I created during my ecotherapy course. I used materials solely from the college woods, though many of my classmates picked flowers for additional color.

Remember that Lake Matoaka has a rope swing and a boat house for student use. If you’re renting a boat, don’t forget your student ID.

Update your indoor study spaces, so that they incorporate ecotherapy. For example, add a few plants to your space, including ones that naturally clean indoor air.

Study next to a window facing the outdoors! Clouds and trees are naturally restorative, and will build your focus and attention span.

*