Working at GreenQ

In my last post I was about to start working at my internship. For the majority of my summer I worked at a software startup called GreenQ, which makes hardware to put on garbage trucks to make them smarter. Then the hardware would collect data about the city’s garbage collection process, and over the course of months and eventually years they would get enough data to give the city advice for how to minimize costs with garbage collection. For instance with their first truck, within 3 months they told the city they could collect only 2 days a week if they collected along a modified route. There were a lot of other ways the business could grow, and it was for the most part a fascinating look at how a business works. One thing that happened was that they installed cameras on one truck, and it opened a world of AI and natural language processing possibilities. This taught me about how a startup pivots as the needs of the market and their product change.

I worked on the front end-I was making the next generation client side application of the product. What I was building was what the clients will use to see what is happening with their trucks and monitor their city’s waste collection within the next year. While I knew it was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I did learn a lot from it. I learned to solve problems in better and more effective ways. My bosses were supportive and the work was interesting. I even got to go to help with an instillation on one of the trucks. I wouldn’t want to work there full time, but I definitely got what I wanted to get out of the internship.

*