Lab Work: Core logs and Magnetic Susceptibility

As I wrote in my last post, when we returned from field work, I had many cores to process before selecting the cores that I am focusing on for my thesis. Each core we collected in the field had to be split, and we selected one half as a “working half” to be sampled and the other as an “archive” which will be stored for future reference. After splitting each core, I completed a core log, describing the visual properties of the sediment in addition to the length of each core section. This first step, describing changes with depth in the core, is used as a reference for sampling and identifying different units (sections of the core with similar sedimentation history) within the core.

[Read more…]

Going with the flow: a new and improved milkweed project, finally getting results

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned from my three years of research, it’s that its super important to go with the flow. Since my last update my milkweed project has taken on an entirely new shape. After discovering that glyphosate herbicides do not act as a proxy for connectedness, I decided to use a different approach and expand on my project from last summer.

[Read more…]