Literature Research on SES

One of the main things I will be looking at to study is socioeconomic status, or SES. This variable is a very changing and indefinite one as there are many different ways to determine what exactly a student’s SES is depending on a variety of factors including their family, neighborhood, parental education, etc. I am not aware of how much information at the moment is used to determine the student’s SES in the current study until I can do the analysis of the different variables. However, how much information available may have an effect on how accurate the resulting information is. Previous literature has questioned whether SES has an impact on students’ academic achievement and the results have varied. It appears how SES is defined may impact whether or not claims like these are significant. I hope in doing more research I can be more informed as to what variables to use or avoid to make the SES data more cohesive and able to give a more accurate result with regards to the current research I am doing. My research is not necessarily looking at academic achievement, but rather attitudes about attaining higher education. However past studies explaining the issues with defining SES and how it can impact data results is important information to use later.

*