Protein Immobilization Research Final Update

As the last week of research approaches, it is rewarding to look back and see all that I have learned. The last two weeks have been extremely productive: I’ve successfully cloned SSO into another plasmid and expressed both the wild type and a mutant version. Furthermore, I’ve been able to run reactions showing the sustained activity of the mutated protein, and thus its potential in biosensors. My aim now is to express at least one more active mutant, and immobilize the mutants in different conditions. If research continues to progress the way it has, we will hopefully have enough for a paper in the fall.

In my other side projects, I’ve made exciting progress on incorporating fluorescent molecules through UV irradiation. Furthermore, I’ve gotten interesting results in using novel techniques to optimize the Glaser-Hay reaction, opening up the door to new possibilities. I hope to continue these projects into the fall, and see where they might lead in terms of new discoveries.

While ten weeks sounded like a long time at the beginning of the summer, it has flown by. My recent advances were incredibly rewarding, and helped mitigate earlier disappointments. Now that my research is progressing however, I’m reluctant to leave it until the fall, and wish I had more time to work on it. These ten weeks have taught me so much both in terms of chemical research and problem-solving, and I am so grateful for it. Furthermore, I could not have chosen a better group of people to be surrounded by – both my advisor, Dr. Young, and my peers in lab made this summer so fun and enjoyable! I’m so thankful to the Charles Center for giving me this grant, and allowing me to have this amazing opportunity.

 

Speak Your Mind

*