August Update

As my summer research is beginning to approach its end, I have been furthering the studies I discussed in my last blog post. I completed my parsed time data set for R560 and RB dyes using the 532nm laser. Examining these data sets using Clauset analysis, I found out how well the early/late times for the dyes fit to power law, log normal, and weibull fits. The fits gave a trend contradictory to the original hypothesis that RB should show differences between early and late, while R560 should not show any difference.

Despite this unfortunate result, it made me realize that there are many variables that need to be considered for this parsing data. Blinking traces of every molecule simply are not going to look super nice, in actuality, blinking can occur during any time of the entire trace. It is difficult to expect fluorescence to occur at a specific time, thus choosing a time to parse the early and late sections of the trace is problematic. Additionally, our hypothesis makes the assumption that RB undergoes dealkylation, however not every blinking trace taken necessarily pushes RB through the photochemical degradation. With these difficulties in mind, it is much more understandable that our parsed data gave results that were not in line with what was expected.

Comments

  1. This sounds really interesting! It sounds like the research has been a very good learning experience. The research sounds as if it has not always gone smoothly, which usually makes for a better learning experience.

Speak Your Mind

*