Microscopy Tips

Last week, I went back into my first successful trial and tried to score the the slides using fluorescent microscopy. I found that most of the cells on my of my slides are now gone and that the slide could no longer be scored. I recall that when I first viewed this slide under the microscope last week, it took a few minutes for the camera to snap a picture. The reason for this is that the images that I was seeing in the camera driver is now real and was not visible with the naked eye. The time that was required to snap a picture of my slide had caused my fixed cells to become photobleached. This is extremely disappointing, because the successful trial cannot yield satisfactory data for my project. Despite this, I am now aware of a new microscopy tip. Since pictures can be taken at any time, I should score my slides as soon as possible and wait to take the pictures later. At this point, I plan on repeating this trial in order to score the cells and get a good sense of how MK-STYX is causing HeLa cells to respond to stress (serum-starve).

1. You make some really good points here. While we can’t eliminate all the harm that photobleaching has on our samples, scoring followed by image collection significantly reduces potential damage in most applications. I’ll make extra sure after reading this to carefully acquire images for my latest batch of slides using some of the advice you discussed in this post. Thanks!

*