Final Post: Water Access in Chaguite, Nicaragua

My final model raises questions about reliability and its practical use. The large area covered by the model (all of Matagalpa) brings into question how specific it is to the very s mall community of Chaguite. My model also does not take into account the cleanliness of the groundwater zones it identifies. The groundwater zones that the model identifies may be contaminated, may not be drinkable or may not be available all year round.

Another question I still have is whether my research can be considered under CBPR. Most of the data I used was from Esri and USGS, not collected be the community. However, at the same time, the benefit to conducting research using remote sensing data was that It did not require community input. This is because we did not have access to the community over the summer and the protests in Nicaragua are showing no signs of stopping. Previous revolutions in Nicaragua have lasted years which is concerning considering the nature of our group’s research methods.

Overall, the model was incredibly fascinating to create. I think in future models it would be beneficial to find finer data with pixel sizes smaller than the 30×30 images I used in this model. This way the groundwater potential zones would be more specific to the community of Chaguite and therefore more usable for a well implementation project. I also think it would be useful to assess the differences in groundwater potential zones during rainy and dry seasons to see if any areas have enough groundwater to not be susceptible to a drought. Also, in future models I think it would be helpful to provide current well recharge data. This again however requires a smaller scale model that is more focused on a specific community.

*