Final Post

Classes have now begun and my summer or research has come to an end. Over the course of the past couple of months I have learned a lot about what it means to be involved in biological research, both in the lab and out in the field. From mountain biking and hiking in 100 degree weather in order to collect ticks, to running PCR’s and gel electrophoresis, my summer was an exciting learning experience. I gained quite a lot from this journey both academically and mentally. Spending several hours every day in pants and long sleeved shirts on mountain bikes and through brambles and thick underbrush is not the easiest thing I have ever done. Despite the physical challenges that this presented though, I woke up each day feeling excited for the day to come.

With the start of the semester, I am having to transition from having all day everyday to devote to research to having to balance it with my classes and other time commitments. It might take a week or two to adjust to this change as I will not be able to extrapolate data as quickly as I did over the summer. Having this research experience during the semester to compliment my classes is quite exciting. I feel as though what I am learning in my classes such as GIS and Evolution of Organisms will aid me in continuing my project.

One of the amazing characteristics of  William and Mary is the many opportunities students have to get involved and research is just one of those great opportunities we have. I feel as though I have learned a great deal and have gained skills that I can continue to employ both here at William and Mary as well as the years to come after graduation.

*