Week One at the U.S. Department of State

D.C. after a storm

D.C. after a storm

[Read more…]

Week 1 Update

The first order of business each morning in the lab this week has been to remove the previous day’s glassware from the base bath (an extremely strong solution of ethanol, potassium hyroxide, and ultrapure water), rinse it thoroughly in ultrapure water, and leave it to dry before storing it in our respective drawers. As a single-molecule spectroscopy lab, we want to be sure that no molecules besides the ones we’re studying show up on our scans, and this makes cleaning extra important. I’ve worked hard so far to start the summer off on the right foot by following this protocol and avoiding contamination.

[Read more…]

Turning Pixels of Antarctica into Numbers (WEEK 2)

On my last blog post, I discussed how I went about collecting data. Now that I have a set of satellite images, I will discuss how I have pulled out quantitative data from them.

[Read more…]