Week 1 at the National Assembly for Wales

I’m Raadhika, a rising senior at W&M, and I’m spending the summer interning in Cardiff with the National Assembly for Wales! This is such a unique opportunity that I’m really excited for – not only do I get to come back to a country I consider my second home, but I also get this incredible chance to experience working with a foreign national government.

My first week has been very relaxed. Everyone in my office is incredibly nice and welcoming and they have all been very helpful as I try to get over my jetlag and settle into a new city. This week has mostly been introductory – I’ve toured the building, I’ve begun my long term research project on homelessness and I’ve attended a plenary session of the Assembly. I also attended a World Environment Day event on behalf of my assembly member – not only was the event incredibly fascinating, but I also got to meet a cast member from Game of Thrones! I’ve been told that from next week onwards, things will start to heat up and get more exciting but as for now, I’m incredibly excited about all the possibilities of my new internship.

The Pierhead and Senedd buildings in Cardiff Bay