1st Week Experiment

Good Afternoon Readers,

Just a quick reminder as to the objective of my summer research – I am characterizing the pattern of SUMO (Small Ubiquitin-like Modifying) protein through spermatogenesis in C. elegans. During my first week of research in the Shakes’ lab, I completed a SUMO/DAPI/Actin prep. During the prep, we were interested in the meiotic divisions of spermatogenesis, especially the unpaired sex chromosome (note – males in C. elegans have only one X sex chromosome, they do not have a Y sex chromosome as in the male sex of humans.) This combined prep yielded many good pictures of anaphase I in C. elegans him8 and fog2 strains. I have included a panel of raw, anaphase I data from my first prep with a descriptive caption as to what one should see when looking at the pictures.

Please leave any questions you may have in the comments section!

Katie McDonald

In these pictures, one can identify the lagging X chromosome, which is characteristic of C. elegans males in meiosis I. The lagging X is present still at the metaphase plate after the autosomes have separated to their respective, opposite spindle poles.

In these pictures, one can identify the lagging sex chromosome, which is characteristic of C. elegans males in meiosis I. The lagging X is present still at the metaphase plate after the autosomes have separated to their respective, opposite spindle poles. Dark Blue fluorescents indicates DNA, green fluorescents indicates SUMO, and a light blue/lime green color is an overlapping pattern of the DNA/SUMO.

*