Week 4: Aligning the TE sequences together and finding the distance matrices within a subfamily.

Last week I removed the overlaps of TE sequences in the file containing all the consolidated transposon data. Then I revised the length ratio of each transposon and separated them into intact ones and fragmented ones. Finally, I generated the density plots for all DNA and LTR, and each of their TE families as well. I have got some really nice plots indicating a possible relationship between the insertion and/or retention of intact TEs and TE fragments. These plots needed further analysis.

[Read more…]

A Continued Discussion

In the past week, I have focused on Ásta’s article, “The Metaphysics of Sex and Gender.” Specifically, my goal has been to write a sympathetic summary of her interpretation. With this established, I will have a grounding for later criticizing and building upon her work.

[Read more…]

Week #4 Report

This week more samples are here to be analyzed! The ones specific I would like to share are some filter samples. The major difference of these samples from the samples I have analyzed before is that they are collected in a laboratory rather than on the field. The samples to be discussed are collected from the fumes emitted from a burning of Douglas fir in a controlled environment. Those laboratory samples are able to help us to understand the composition and behavior of aerosols coming from a single source (in this case, a biomass burning aerosol ). Such knowledge can play an important role in our analysis of ambient (field) aerosol samples.

[Read more…]

Blog Post 4

This week had a lot of change in store for the Heideman lab. After reading Wu and Rau, 2019, my P.I. decided that a lot of things needed to be adjusted for my project. Rather than a continuation of Emma Arents’ thesis, he would rather see something catered more towards STEM drawing and preparation for professionals.

[Read more…]