A Week on the Farm

I spent this past week at a farm in Angat, Bulacan, a municipality a little north of Manila.

[Read more…]

Week 2

In week 2, I learned how to do powder diffraction and AA (atomic absorption). I ran powder diffraction on the compounds that I had made in week one. I used the x-ray to help provide information about the unit cell, structure, and composition of my iodocyanocuprate compounds. It was very interesting to get to learn how both of these instruments work, as I have learned about both of them in class, but had never seen them in person or seen how they work.

[Read more…]

A Little Weekend Trip

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to travel to Bangkok, Thailand with two other Freeman Interns, Natalie and Matt. Bangkok has always been one of my top travel destination wishes, so I was excited when I got a message from Matt and Natalie asking if I’d wanna join for a spontaneous flight to Thailand. I happily accepted, and booked the flight Tuesday, for a Friday departure. 

[Read more…]

First Day of Work

The first day at the office, I met the Director of the Center for Creative Writing and Literary Studies, as well as a few of my office mates that I would be working with for the next couple of weeks. The Center’s mission of emphasized the importance of a liberal arts education, especially in an age of increasing focus on science/technological achievements. One of the goals the Center this year was digitizing their paper volumes of literature. Their aim was to make the volumes of Philippine creative writing more accessible for students. My job would be to split some pdfs and upload them to the UST Website. Every year, the Center also holds a creative writing workshop for undergraduate students, so I would also be helping them to plan that.

[Read more…]

Week 1

In week one, I made some alkylpyridinium salts in order to make the iodocyanocuprate compounds. I did this by combing RI (with R=H, Me, Et, Pr, and Bu) with pyridine to create the salts. They were mixed together in a 1:1 ratio and stirred in a hot oil bath overnight. I had made one with butyl, propyl, and proteo. They all came out looking very oily. They were put on the vaccum line overnight to see if that would help with them both being so oily, and it did help the butyl, but not as much the propyl. The proteo had to be triturated, which was something new that I learned how to do. I dripped the proteo product that I had made into a bath of ether in order to get the final product which produced a light brownish powder.

[Read more…]