Week 3 at the National Assembly for Wales

The highlight of this week was the Vale of Glamorgan smallholders who came to visit – they brought goats, sheep and piglets with them! The smallholders are people who farm on smaller plots of land than traditional farmers. My AM sponsored an event for them to come in and share about their way of life and how the government could protect it. Part of the presentation included spinning on a wheel with fresh wool and of course, the animals! It was fascinating to hear from them all the details of their livelihoods, all of which was new information to me. Alongside my regular research, I also got the chance to do some research for a Plenary debate my AM wanted to speak on, about how Welsh history and language can be better incorporated into the Welsh school curriculum. Currently, Welsh history is taught almost as an afterthought to English history in schools. Welsh culture and history is not taught in the context of every subject nor is it tested on the GCSEs or A-Levels, decreasing motivation for teachers to cover the material in school. As the government works on a new final curriculum for 2022, having ongoing debates to iron out the final details is incredibly important and getting to research something like this that I have no prior knowledge of was really interesting.

*