Week 3

This week I ran AA (atomic absorption) on my samples that were in 100% ethanol rather than the 95% and unstirred. Some of the numbers were better than others, but they still were not what I was looking for. Butyl was the only one that was closer to the desired value of copper that we were looking for.

The methyl, propyl, and butyl all showed good consistent luminescence. Methyl was a dull orange and propyl and butyl were both bright orange. While proteo and ethyl were inconsistent in both room light and black light. From these we got crystals that we could get unit cells from to see if they matched what had previously been found.

I made more EtPyI salt this week as well to see if that might have been part of the problem. It produced a brown oil and once triturated I had a light brown powder. I then made another iodocyanocuprate compound using the EtPyI salt. I did this the same way that I had run them in week 2 and again got a dull yellow powder when it should be a bright yellow powder suggesting that the EtPyI was not the problem.

This week I also began running dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts with CuCN and CuI. I used 100% ethanol  and again had them stir for an hour and unstirred for the rest of the night. I ran one with H2-4,4’-BpyI2 and one with dimethyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium. The starting dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts were red/orange. In the morning the powder was now red for H and a dark looking purple/brown for Me. I ran these again along with diethyl 4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salt this time stirred overnight. The results were a light brown powder for H, a brown powder for Me, and a dark brown powder for Et. Later in the week I ran the propyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salt and the butyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salt with CuI and CuCN. This resulted in dark brown powders. All of these powders for the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts did not show any strong luminescence like the alkylpyridinium salts.

We changed the way that I was running the alkylpyridinium salts with CuCN and CuI again to try and get the percent copper closer to the desired. We were getting more CN than desired. To do this we tried mixing the alkylpyridinium salt and CuI first overnight and added the CuCN in the morning. This produced a brighter orange colored powder under blacklight for the methylpyridinium, CuCN, and CuI. I also ran a propylpyridinium, CuCN, and CuI, but unfortunately it did not turn out in the color that it usually had. The powder looked more brown than yellow.