Week 4 of Remote Area Medical Operations

Hello everyone! Week two at RAM has gone even better than the first week. As I am typing, I am at my third clinic of the summer, running straight of the back of our second clinic last weekend. It has been a very busy few weeks since I have last posted. Since then, I’ve prepared materials for our volunteer recruitment team, went white water rafting, learned how to work and set up our vision lab, vetted volunteer physicians licenses, helped salute our WWII veterans, and was introduced to the most adorable cupcake shop in Richmond.

For much of the weeks after my first clinic, I was working at headquarters with the volunteer team. Our volunteer team works hard to make sure all of our clinics are staffed with the correct amount of medical professionals, that the professionals licenses can be verified, and many other tasks such as going to professional schools to recruit staff as well as students to volunteer and sometimes even create their own RAM chapters at their schools. So much goes into how RAM helps set up various clinics, whether it’s from the beginning stages in office or the final stages of disassembling the clinic.

2fbff9974fa54b3595464ca3619e707d

RAM plane behind the speakers for the ceremony

RAM not only aids those in need of medical assistance, we also help celebrate our veterans, more specifically or WWII veterans, in the month of June. Every year in June RAM host the event Salute to Service in their hangar. For the ceremony, we showcase the plans we have that were used in WWII and have a service honoring those who served. For me, it was an amazing ceremony to be apart of. My own grandfather served in the military, and to hear some of the stories of the men and women who served made everything seem more real and down to earth. Their individual experiences touched the hearts and lives of all those present.

e349aac2ca5142aea3046c98c2e2d9c6

Ceremonial table in remembrance of all those who served

As I did in my other post, I will give another fact about RAM’s founder Stan Brock. Stan created Remote Area Medical when he fell off his horse in Guyana and was told that the nearest doctor was about 26 days away. This experience created the vision and subsequent creation of RAM.

*