Power of the Craft: Amélie Lamont Spotlight (Research Update #1)

I believe it would be unfair of me to have a favorite subject of study in my research project. All the individuals and organizations that I have decided to study bring unique styles of interactions to the forefront of my research, often in ways that challenge me to rethink what exactly I’m looking at. No one online community is quite like another, and this project seeks to highlight this simple fact among those figures who belong to marginalized communities – those whose voices “in real life” are more often than not suppressed or ignored.

But it would be unfair, also, for me to not note that which specifically fascinates me. Enter Amélie Lamont (@amelielamont), a freelance artist and activist based in New York City. According to her Twitter bio, she is Queer, of Jamaican ancestry, and on the board of The Professional Association of Design: New York. Her personal projects include People of Craft (@peopleofcraft_), which seeks to highlight the artwork of People of Color. What attracts me to Lamont is her unabashed candidness compared to other subjects. Amélie Lamont demonstrates a vulnerability that’s both common and unique – while social media is known for being a place where one can leave their lives exposed for the public, Lamont puts her personal life in display in a way that seeks to empower those who can relate to her struggles and raise awareness. Not only this, but Lamont also takes the time to directly interact with her followers and build relationships. From her journeys with mental health to dealing with bias in her industry, Amélie doesn’t falter in sharing her experiences with her audience, and it thus sets her apart.

In my research surrounding Amélie and others, I have increasingly become aware of just how varied interactions on the internet can be. There are many different ways to “do” social media and spread one’s message(s), but they all start with putting oneself out there in some fashion. Lamont does just that and more, putting the power of her craft on display for all to see, bringing pride to both the Black and LGBTQ communities.

*