Narrowing Research: Research Update 4

This week I decided to narrow down my research to focus specifically on the history of blackface in the student culture of William and Mary. In the beginning, the discovery of the alleged photo of Governor Ralph Northam in the Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook sparked my interest in studying William and Mary’s yearbooks. After looking through evidence in the Colonial Echo, I have begun to search The Flat Hat to find student opinions and reactions to the presence of blackface both in the yearbook and in student culture in general.

[Read more…]

Better Luck Nest Time! – Week 6 Update

Like last, this week was not eggstra special in any big way. We had egg dissections to do most days and did some more runs from frozen samples at 4 and 6 days old – nothing new here. The egg dissections were of an older stage (11 days) so we had to figure out exactly how we wanted to extract and dissect those embryos but this was a pretty simple decision and we already have five or six samples in the freezer! We probably won’t use these samples until the fall but its always nice to have stuff frozen and ready to use, and to take advantage of this period of steady control egg production while we can.

[Read more…]

Week 6

I ran the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts in dried acetone at a smaller quantity. It produced the expected color under room light and looked consistent.

[Read more…]

Week 5

This week I ran AA on the samples that were run in acetone. Some of the samples came out closer to the desired amount of copper, but the others still did not. I ran Me, Et, Pr, and Bu again in acetone. Ethyl and Propyl came out as expected but methyl and butyl did not. I ran AA on these. These results were worse than the AA I ran earlier in the week. I ran the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts to try and get crystals. They were still inconsistent and did not really have any crystals that we could look at.

[Read more…]

Week 4

I made more dimethyll-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium and dibutyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts. They methyl came out as an orange powder and the butyl a darker red color. I ran more reactions with the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts and CuCN and CuI unstirred to try and get crystals. This did not produce anything significant. I repeated this again at a small ratio to see if that would help produce better/more crystals than the previous run.

[Read more…]