Week 5

In addition to starting my first trial of CRISPR-Cas 9, my advisor introduced a few more projects to me and my labmate. The first project is to test yeast strains and their plastic adherence. For this project, we have started our strains of interest and performed transformations and later we will perform CRISPER-Cas9 to the yeast that have high and low adherence.

[Read more…]

Initial Findings – Research Update #2

The past week has been occupied by a more in-depth review of local opinion submissions concerning affordable housing projects in and around Williamsburg and James City County. As I mentioned in my previous blog post, a trend in the use of language surrounding labor and economics became immediately apparent among both pro- and anti-housing development arguments. Fiscally related responses were expected of those writing against new housing projects (i.e., disapproval of new taxes), but the presence of comparable terminology from supporters was more surprising. Affordable housing advocates often used phrases such as “labor” or “workers” to describe the individuals that they expect will reside within potential developments, and many of them stressed the importance of providing housing in order to ensure employees of local businesses could remain in the area. Although at face value this vernacular in which people are discussed in terms of their identity as “laborer” may not appear unusual, it is the unacknowledged prevalence of such language and its implications that are of interest to me.

[Read more…]

Update for week 7/1/19

The week of 7/1/19, I performed data collection or cell scoring on my Trial 1 of the no treatment/chloroquine experiment. I had to count 100 cells in multiple areas on the slides to see how many of the 100 cells had stress granules and did not have stress granules. I also cultured my cells to make sure that they would still be viable when I entered the lab the following week.

Community Health Partners – Week 7

My last week at Community Health Partners is finally here. After two months, it is difficult to put into words what working with this organization has meant to me. Above all, I have learned far more from the clinicians, counselors, and technicians here than I could have ever hoped to contribute to their work.

[Read more…]

Summary: data extraction and collection of M. guttatus transpsons

I have completed 7-week of research this summer. I worked to determine whether TE insertion and/or retention was preferential or not. In order to do this, I worked in Puzey lab and got the raw genome file of M. guttatus and a referential genome file. I aligned the raw data file with the referential genome file using RepeatMasker to locate and extract the transposons. From there, I started to analyze the TEs and compose several tables and plots to try to make sense of the data. I first made density histograms of DNA and LTR transposons separately. The parameters that I was interested in were the percentage of divergence, insertion, and deletion. The size of the TEs was also taken into account. After that, I found that TEs would gradually accumulate mutations which led to more divergences compared to the original sequences. This rule was held for each family of the DNA and LTR transposons as well.

[Read more…]