Week 6 at the National Assembly for Wales

This week was off to a start with me working on a brief for my AM to ask a follow-up question during Plenary. The question was asking for a progress report on the Arbed scheme in Wales, a program designed to retrofit houses with energy-saving measures. The scheme provides new boilers, wall cladding and smart meters, amongst other things, to low-income families so they can decrease their energy bills and move out of fuel property. This week I also spent some time drafting questions for two separate days of Plenary. I created a list of questions to ask the environment minister, ranging from things like asking about the progress of national tree-building programs to asking about if the government had considered carbon recycling programs to meet its emissions goals. I also came up with a list of more general questions for the First Minister, asking about updates on Welsh-language learning initiatives and carbon-neutral home building programs.

I also got to go on my first off-site visit this week! My AM is the shadow spokesperson on Heritage in Wales so I got to accompany him on a visit to Chepstow Castle, the oldest surviving post-Roman stone fortification in Britain, built in 1607. It was amazing to get a personal tour of such a historic and important monument – it felt like taking a field trip as an adult! The views were stunning and the stories behind the creation of the castle were incredible to hear. After Chepstow Castle, we went to see the Carleon Roman baths and amphitheatre. The amphitheatre in Carleon is one of the best-preserved in the world and the exhibit with the baths was incredibly well-done, complete with actual Roman artifacts from the soldiers! Getting to see things like this as part of an internship is such an amazing experience and it really makes me appreciate where I am and what I’m experiencing!

*