5th Week of Summer Research

Good Afternoon Readers,

Throughout previous SUMO preps, I have noticed an irregular, punctate SUMO pattern in a cellular stage called diplotene. The punctuates seemed to be confined within the nuclear envelope, but I wanted to test this hypothesis. To test my hypothesis, I began investigating the pattern of SUMO and a nuclear envelope (NE) protein, LMN-1. I utilized a co-staining procedure with SUMO and LMN-1, but both of these proteins require the same secondary antibody, which means they will both fluoresce the same color: to mitigate this challenge, I used controls for both LMN-1 and SUMO to show their independent patterns, in addition to co-stained slides with SUMO and LMN-1. Upon analysis of the LMN-1 controls, the staining was showing LMN-1 associating with the chromatin, but not staining the nuclear envelope. This is an uncharacteristic pattern for LMN-1: because LMN-1 is a nuclear envelope protein, the staining should be on the NE, but not the chromatin. Due to the irregular pattern of LMN-1, I could not draw any conclusions from this SUMO/LMN-1 prep.

Although failure is a staple of scientific research, developing alternate routes are too. To test my hypothesis that SUMO is localizing in the NE during diplotene, I will utilize staining for the nuclear pore complex protein to visualize the nuclear envelope.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my summer research! Please leave any questions in the comments section.

Katie McDonald

*