Week 7

This week I took readings from my previous experiment with M9 minimal media containing 0.5% ethanol as the carbon source. The data from this experiment was very promising, as it showed growth well above what is considered “minimal growth” for all of the strains. Though most of the OD600 readings were between 0.30 and 0.80, a few strains had OD600 readings as high as 0.300. Since the standard for “minimal growth” is an OD600 reading at or above 0.010, these results are quite high for bacteria that have not yet been allowed to evolve to be resistant to ethanol. After meeting with my PI, I started a preliminary procedure to test the growth of the strains over 5 days and found that the bacteria grew incredibly well even on the first day in most strains, showing that most strains only need 24 hours to grow to their maximum numbers, which is important to know for the next stages of the experiment. This week I also tested the strains SAIG and VF7744 at ethanol concentrations of 4.0-4.9% again, as per recommendation by my PI, to see if the data I was getting could be replicated. Both strains grew in all ten percentage points in all five trials, suggesting that the ethanol resistance in these strains is likely much higher than expected. Given this data, I will re-test the given strains at higher percentages of ethanol (specifically at 5.0% and 6.0%) to see whether these strains can truly grow at higher concentrations of ethanol than the data from previous students has shown.

Speak Your Mind

*