Living Shoreline- Week 4

Hey again all! Sorry to fall behind again, I just finished for the summer and realized I hadn’t been keeping up!

Week 4

Week 4 was a return to fieldwork after the analysis-heavy week 3. Our normal schedule for the rest of my time working here cemented itself; one day in the field followed by one day of analysis while the cameras record, then a day in the field to survey wildlife and pick up cameras, and the cycle repeats. This week, since we’re getting a little farther into the summer, was plagued by all manners of biting critters- horse flies, ticks, and spiders (oh my!). Among the things I’ve learned this week, the knowledge that horseflies can (and will) bite through even relatively thick long-sleeved shirts. Always pleasant.

Past the nagging flies and ever-present horde of ticks, work this week was both peaceful and exciting, for the manner of birds and aquatic animals we took note of. Part of our procedure includes 30-minute terrapin surveys, in which Bob and I scan the water with binoculars looking for the signature gray-silver diamond of the terrapin head, poking above the water. Often times, these surveys yield a host of different animals, too; on Friday, we were greeted by a particularly curious Atlantic Cow-nosed Ray, around 4 feet from fin to fin, feeding on a school of bait fish in the surrounding waters. It was a welcome visitor among the flies.

Analysis continued in the off-days, though with less emphasis. The sheer magnitude of data presented itself when the w:/ drive we had been using for data dump got dangerously close to being filled. We’re up to nearly 5tb of video data now, each camera recording 6 times per day, with 2-3 cameras per site, with 4 sites set up per cycle, 2 cycles per week. It’s become abundantly clear that analysis will have to continue throughout the summer and early fall months.

*