Updates

Over the past week, I condensed my notes from Judith Butler’s Gender Trouble and Bodies That Matter. Then, I extracted the quotes necessary to help with my description of her metaphysical framework.

[Read more…]

A Sad Introduction to the Terrapin Project

After many weeks of fieldwork, it is time to tell the long story of the research that has been done. While the entirety of the research itself has been overwhelmingly positive, The first day of surveying the work site was cast in a grim light upon a depressing finding. My research partner and I, along with our lab professor and his assistant, paddled out to the Catlett Islands to evaluate where the best spots for pots would be. It was a windy, sunny day, and our spirits were light as we made our way out of Cedar Bush Creek to look for both suitable sites and Terrapins. When entering one of the many small bays of the Islands, we found several old crab pot buoys, with rusted metal rings attached. Luckily enough, nothing was caught in the first few, but the last one we pulled up was a new crab pot and had yet to deteriorate to the level of the others. Sadly, when we pulled it out of the water, it was filled with Diamond-backed Terrapins.

[Read more…]

Time to Assess the Damage – Blog Post 6

It’s time to start harvesting the plants where the larvae have been feeding! I harvested six plants yesterday morning and saw several sections of damage on the coarse roots from larval feeding. I even found two larvae burrowed in the damaged areas. At the time of each harvest, I measured the plant’s stem heights, counted the number of buds on the roots, and checked for damaged areas. Like the previous destructive harvest of the thirty experimental plants, I bagged the aboveground and belowground tissues for each plant and then placed them in a drying oven so that I will be able to later weigh the tissues. I will compare these weights to the model of how belowground biomass and aboveground biomass relate to each other. I will continue to harvest plants throughout this week as more of the larvae reach the end of the eleven-day feeding period.

[Read more…]

Week 8 update

The main goal for last week was to wrap up the petal spot project. Everything needed to be completed and finalized by Wednesday. I worked with CiCi to take a high quality developmental series for the final poster.

[Read more…]

Fun at Winterthur, Week 8!

Well, my weekend was a colossal failure! I was supposed to work all day Saturday at a regatta in Middletown, DE, but that was called off because of the heat. Instead, I decided to go to Lancaster PA to see the farmers’ market and the historic area. I went on an hour-long scenic drive through the southern Pennsylvania countryside. When I got to Lancaster, I discovered to my disappointment that the farmers’ market was closed! As was the Lancaster historical association! Fortunately, the James Buchanan national historic site was open, so I took a tour. It was a bit odd, but it was good to check another presidential site off my list. I drove home far earlier than I expected to. On Sunday, I tried to go to Dover, DE. I got there only to find that Dover was a) tiny, b) deserted, and c) mostly closed because of the heat and because it was Sunday.

[Read more…]