Participant Demographics Breakdown

In previous posts, I have mentioned how I am recruiting both male and female participants for my study. In preparing the stimuli, I gathered data for one survey from all male individuals, and I found that to be difficult. In keeping with data from many psychology studies, getting quick results from males proved to be more challenging than from females. However, in gathering participants for my actual study, I have not run into this problem, which I find interesting.

[Read more…]

All About Bluebirds

A highlight of this research experience has been getting to learn all about Eastern Bluebirds, arguably one of the most charismatic bird species in this area. Funnily enough, the first time I saw a bluebird was actually on William & Mary’s campus. Like many people, I found their small size and beautiful coloration endearing. This project has opened my eyes to their fascinating population history and life cycle.

[Read more…]

Bluebird Nest Monitors

Although the Eastern Bluebird population in the Williamsburg area is healthy today, it wasn’t always like this. In the 1960s & 1970s, their populations saw steep declines across their ranges. These declines were caused by a variety of factors including agricultural practices, competition with invasive species (specifically house sparrow), and increased human development. 

[Read more…]

Running the Study

After several weeks of design, preparation, and last-minute adjustments, I am now in the process of recruiting and running participants in my research study. In the past three and a half weeks, I have been coordinating with students on campus to come to the lab and get the data that I need, and so far I am very pleased with the turnout.

[Read more…]

Update from week 7/22/19

After a busy week of training, I was able to redirect my focus to my independent project. This week, I did not start an new experiment. However, I maintained my stock cells to prevent overgrowth and cell death. I also performed data collection on my Trial 3 of the no treatment/chloroquine experiment. Data collection is long and tedious process but it is necessary. Once the data is collected, I am able to create figures such as representative images and summarizing graphs. During data collection, I noticed that a few of the slides I made did not have cells on them. This happens from time to time. Even when you follow the procedure correctly, these mishaps happen. This means that I have to do another trial.