Participant Demographics Breakdown

In previous posts, I have mentioned how I am recruiting both male and female participants for my study. In preparing the stimuli, I gathered data for one survey from all male individuals, and I found that to be difficult. In keeping with data from many psychology studies, getting quick results from males proved to be more challenging than from females. However, in gathering participants for my actual study, I have not run into this problem, which I find interesting.

At the time of this post, I have run 10 females and 11 males for my study, not only surpassing my expectations in recruiting as many males as females initially, but in getting more initial interest from males who followed through with the session. Additionally, I recruited these male participants on my own, not from other lab members’ studies.  To my knowledge, other members of my lab did not have as much immediate success in recruiting males, and I theorize that this discrepancy is due to a difference in our recruiting tactics. Whereas some of the messages for other studies on various social media platforms emphasized the experience of participating in a psych study, with the added bonus of a $10 payment for one’s time, I tended to emphasize the monetary reward first, and explain that it could be earned by spending an hour or less participating in my study.

I hope that as I continue to recruit participants, the ratio of males to females remains so close to 1:1.

*