Week 7: quiet lab

This week Dr. Puzey and two students went to Botany 2019 in Tucson, Arizona.  Caroline (our grad student), and Cici both presented some of their work on mimulus petal spot formation.  This left only Lizzie and I to hold down the fort in lab.  Because we both sometimes use other spaces in the ISC at times, we each had some very quiet days alone in the lab.  This week I continued to work on analyzing my data using R.  I focused on creating maps of the data.  I started with a basic map of the lower 48 states.  Then, I added points to mark each location that we had latitude and longitude data from our plant specimens.  Unfortunately, we only had this data for a minority of the specimens so my map ended up looking a little sparse.  Once the rest of the data collection is finished, we may go back through the specimens and georeference them to the county level.  I color coded the data so that syriaca points and exaltata points were different colors.  This doesn’t tell us very much so far, but with more data we may find patterns.

Next I made a map with only points for syriaca.  I then worked on color coding them based on their values for a certain trait.  Because I am still new to using R, I usually go through all of the wrong ways to do something before finally finding the way that works.  I at one point color coded the points so that each had a color based on its value.  Unfortunately, the colors were random and I couldn’t make a key, so the map was a rainbow of useless information.  After that I decided to color the points in a specific color range.  Red to black was my goal, with reds representing lower numbers and the points getting darker as the numbers got higher.  It mostly seemed to work except… some points were green! Oh well, I’ll just have to keep learning.