A Summer in Review

This was my second summer working for the Healthy Beginnings Lab. Overall, this summer I had more confidence in my knowledge of the Glass Task experiment were are continuously running, of scheduling for the lab, family drawing coding, coding in general, and data entry. I learned new skills such as data entry, and honed others such as recruitment for the lab which involved making a recruitment plan and pitching our experiment to different institutions or organizations that might help us advertise our study to mothers and kids. Last summer, I was one of the newest members in the lab, and felt very unsure of myself, particularly while running participants. By the time this summer rolled around, I was tasked with leading scheduling and recruitment efforts for the lab, as well as most training efforts for new members who joined us in May. Additionally, I got to experience grant-writing for a second time when I, under the supervision of Dr. Danielle Dallaire, proposed a third condition to the Glass Task experiment that will compare mother-child interactions over video call and in-person that we hope to begin piloting soon. It is hard to believe how quickly time has passed and how much our lab has accomplished since I joined it.

[Read more…]

Final Update: Summary

This summer was a wonderful experience. I was fortunate enough to design my own study. At first, I was under the impression that this job would feel just as such—a job. However, I began to quite like the process. Now, as this summer research experience is coming to a close, I find myself looking forward to perpetuating my study.

[Read more…]

Update #7: 7/8-7/15

Week seven was spent recruiting and running participants. While running the first couple of participants, I’ll admit, I was quite nervous. I was still getting accustomed to the protocol. However, once I got used to the process, I became very comfortable. By the end of the week, I was itching for more participants because I actually enjoyed the process.

Update #6: 7/1-7/8

This week, I was given a tour around the lab. My PI taught me everything I needed to know. Then, I ran her as my first participant so that she could give me advice on how to run future participants. After this, the rest of the week was spent looking for participants.

Update #5: 6/24-7/1

During week five, I finished up with all of the analyses of the pilot Qualtrics survey data. In doing so, I was able to finalize the real Qualtrics survey that I would have my participants take.

[Read more…]