Emailing Ásta

Today, I emailed Ásta. She wrote “The Metaphysics of Sex and Gender,” which is one of the main focuses of my work this summer. My advisor, Dr. Griffith, recommended that I reach out to her. In my email, I thanked Ásta and asked for any advice she may have. I let her know my article’s title, “A Case for Intersectional Feminist Metaphysics: What We Can Learn from Judith Butler and Immanuel Kant,” and let her know that I plan to send her the final draft. 

Previously known by her full name, Ásta Kristjana Sveinsdóttir, she now goes by just her first name (like Beyoncé and Madonna) due to mishaps with philosophy databases.Ásta earned her Bachelor of Arts at Brandeis University, her A.M. at Harvard University, and her Ph.D. at M.I.T. where she studied under Sally Haslanger. She currently is a professor of philosophy at San Francisco State University and released her first book, Categories We Live By, in 2018. For more information on Ásta, visit her website at www.astaphilosophy.com

Reading Ásta’s, Dr. Griffith’s, Judith Butler’s, and Sally Haslanger’s works this summer has been inspirational. I look forward to finishing the article in the next week!

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 8.24.50 PMScreen Shot 2019-08-15 at 8.25.17 PM

*