Revised Abstract

Dr. Griffith and I FaceTimed for the final time this morning. Although I am sad about this part of the project coming to close, I am excited for what is in store.

The final version of the abstract is:

Feminist philosophers agree that Judith Butler’s Gender Trouble and Bodies That Matter fundamentally changed metaphysical discussions about gender and sex. Competing arguments existed in which one side accepted sex as a brute fact and gender as a cultural construction, and the other believed in the cultural construction of both. Although Butler provided compelling arguments and insights, her theory may be considered difficult to interpret. In an attempt at illumination, Ásta made analogies to Kant’s transcendentalism in her 2011 paper, “The Metaphysics of Sex and Gender.” In this paper, I revise Ásta’s interpretation, which includes analogies to the noumenal realm and spatiotemporality. In addition, I expand the scope of comparison to include Kant’s twelve categories, which I analogize to the social categories (e.g. gender, race, class). I then respond to Ásta’s worry that Butler does not assign enough metaphysical weight to the body. With this analysis, I make a case for how appealing to Kant, an unlikely source of inspiration, may be instructive to intersectional feminist metaphysics. 

In our meeting this morning, we went over more revisions to the paper, including the comparisons between Butler’s and Kant’s theories, which is the meatiest section. Although I will submit a finalized version to Dr. Griffith by the deadline, I will continue to revise and rework the paper.

*