Week 7 — Finalization

My summer has come to an end but my research work needs further effort. This week I tried to collect images and data from the first patch of tadpoles I got. However, as I mentioned, these tadpoles are now way too big for the microscope and the mold we made. The images I took from tadpoles are not the clearest ones I could get, and since the tadpole size was way too big, many of them get squished under the microscope and died after the experiment. Therefore, I spent more time on reading scientific papers and familiarizing the software for my data analysis. I will continue my research during the fall and spring semester.

Summary: Tears in Antarctic Ice

As was discussed in the abstract, there has been a net loss of ice around Antarctica throughout the past decades, and much of this ice loss is due to iceberg calving. The process of iceberg calving begins with rift propagation, which can be analogized similarly to tearing a piece of paper.

[Read more…]

Week 6

The last week of interning consisted of leaving the city for some fieldwork. I am very grateful to my boss, Sergelen, for sending us out with the surveyors because it was just an excuse to let us travel around the country.

[Read more…]

A Speggtactular Summer – Final SUMMERy!

Spending an entire summer doing biological research, and pursuing my own project, was something I never imagined I would do, but here I am! Being able to spend my summer here in Williamsburg was an amazing opportunity and definitely an experience which I will look back upon fondly.

[Read more…]

Week 6 – Tadpole issues

Last week I diagnosed my molecular reagent issues, so this week I initiated the second frog mating. Apparently these couples aren’t into each other very much. As a result, the embryos I got aren’t as healthy as the first round I got. Many containers soon became cloudy and eggs are clearly unfertilized. These unhealthy eggs will explode in a week, affecting other healthy eggs as well. Therefore, I went back to my old tadpoles to test my hypothesis that the cause of unclear marking is the amount of protein expressed in tadpoles. Old tadpoles are bigger than what I want but are still useful if I am doing only a diagnosis experiment. I chose another mitochondria marker and reduced the amount of DNA I injected into tadpoles to see if anything has changed. The results were quite interesting. No matter how little the tag-RFP-T was expressed, it seems like it is not specific at all, while the other marker I used labeled mitochondria clearly.

[Read more…]