Ending with new goals

I began my summer in Harbron lab with the purpose of fixing the system we have for the dye-doped- nanoparticles. My goal was to test whether dye-doped nanoparticle can be created to be stable enough for detecting sub-parts-per-billion levels of mercury in real-world samples such as lake water or fish tissues. However, as a novice, little did I know that my goals were overly ambitious.

[Read more…]

Meaningful Lesson from Nano-fail

With a week in hand, I finished making my RBS2 dye. Though the yield was tiny, the NMR result of the product was a duplicate of the NMR results provided by literature.  For a little while, I felt content because I mastered the synthesis of RBS2. I was ready to move on to nanoparticles!

[Read more…]

WMSURE Presentation

 Even after eight weeks of being in lab, I still questioned if I am making enough progress. My definition of progress includes obtaining clear data AND learning why I am doing exactly what I do.   However, it is almost impossible to realize how much one has learned without an evaluation. For me, the evaluation was presenting at WMSURE Research Presentation.

[Read more…]

Columns, Columns, Columns!!

During the second week of research, I realized what it meant to work in a synthesis lab. The realization came with my first column.

[Read more…]

A Slow Start

Starting research over the summer is an experience like no other. With everyone in advanced stages of their project working around me, stepping into the lab was intimidating to say the least.  Despite of the nervousness, I felt special. I was given my very own hood and desk. I spent the first few days familiarizing myself with all the drawers, the storage of the chemicals, and most importantly, my lab partner’s notebook.

[Read more…]