Week 7

We were still not getting the desired results for some of the iodocyanocuprates, we tried a mixture of water and acetone as the solvent. I started this using the ethylpyridinium salt. All of them came out looking different under room light, but under blacklight they were all the same color. I repeated this procedure with the same mixtures of water and acetone with the methylpyridinium and butylpyridinium salts with CuI and CuCN. The mixtures with the methylpyridinium in them seemed to be brighter and more luminescent when there was more acetone in the mixture, although many of them did not have much luminescence. The mixtures with the butylpyridinium were also brighter in room light in the mixtures with more acetone, but none of them showed luminescence. We then tried a mixture of dried acetone and dried toluene for the butylpyridinium. This seemed to be closer to the desired product. Atomic Absorption was performed on and this showed that we did not get the desired product.

[Read more…]

Week 6

I ran the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts in dried acetone at a smaller quantity. It produced the expected color under room light and looked consistent.

[Read more…]

Week 5

This week I ran AA on the samples that were run in acetone. Some of the samples came out closer to the desired amount of copper, but the others still did not. I ran Me, Et, Pr, and Bu again in acetone. Ethyl and Propyl came out as expected but methyl and butyl did not. I ran AA on these. These results were worse than the AA I ran earlier in the week. I ran the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts to try and get crystals. They were still inconsistent and did not really have any crystals that we could look at.

[Read more…]

Week 4

I made more dimethyll-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium and dibutyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts. They methyl came out as an orange powder and the butyl a darker red color. I ran more reactions with the dialkyl-4,4ʹ-bipyridinium salts and CuCN and CuI unstirred to try and get crystals. This did not produce anything significant. I repeated this again at a small ratio to see if that would help produce better/more crystals than the previous run.

[Read more…]

Week 3

This week I ran AA (atomic absorption) on my samples that were in 100% ethanol rather than the 95% and unstirred. Some of the numbers were better than others, but they still were not what I was looking for. Butyl was the only one that was closer to the desired value of copper that we were looking for.

[Read more…]